We all know, LEJOG stands for “Lands End to John O’Groats” – the standard cycle trip. But, we’re cheating, and for us, LEJOG is “Lands End to Jones’ Own Garden”. So in effect, the first part (ish) of the route, but from Lands End to Melksham. Of course, we will be doing this unsupported, with our usual trusted bikes, and will also be camping some of the nights. As usual too, its a fun ride and the trip is the journey and not the destination.
Roughly 430km (260 miles) – though 270-280 after we get lost once or twice, and ETA around one week
Our route is:-
Max elevation: 438 m
Total climbing: 5268 m
Total descent: -5276 m
- Day 0: Cycle to Trowbridge, Train to Penzance, cycle to Campsite: http://www.lowertreave.co.uk/index.html
- Day 1: 60km Cycle to Lands end, take photo, back to campsite, collect tent, cycle about 60km (70km total) to Carnon Downs, Truro, and stay at Premier Inn
- Day 2: 125km Cycle around 40 miles to just past Looe and camp at http://www.polborderhouse.co.uk/
- Day 3: 182km Cycle under 40 miles, but quite hilly starting across Dartmoor 🙁 But destination is campsite at pub (with bunkhouse option if really wet….) http://www.theplumeoffeathersdartmoor.co.uk/page12.html
- Day 4: 243km – Just under 40 miles: Exmouth – Premier Inn
- Day 5: 310km – Ilminster – travelodge
- Day 6: 365km – Castle Cary – pub camping http://www.brookhouseinn-touringpark.co.uk/
- Day 7: 430km – Home!
That’s the plan…..
Camp, Premier Inn, Camp, Pub-camp, Premier Inn, Travelodge, Pub-camp, home