• From Paul on Self Build Campervan/Motorhome index

What an excellent resource you have created – congratulations and thanks. I’m on the verge of buying an NV200 to facilitate various objectives. Current conundrum is whether to buy one ready converted, or to go down the self build route. It’s great to have something like this to refer to. Am I right in thinking you’ve moved onto a larger van now? I think I share some of your original aspirations for when you opted for the NV200 – e.g. stealthy, fits comfortably under the standard 2m barriers, fits in a normal car parking space etc. If you have switched to the larger van, presumably your viewpoint on these things shifted over time. No doubt you’ve written about that already somewhere and I look forward to absorbing more of your blog posts.

2021/10/03 at 12:42 pm
    • From Ryan and Mel on Self Build Campervan/Motorhome index

Hi, thanks. Hope the info was useful. We went from bigger van to NV200 and the plan was always a 5 years van/2nd car – so we would not feel guilty going off backpacking or cycle camping months on end leaving a full size camper at home. THe NV for us worked very well and we did 6wk trips mostly wildcamping with no issues. It was perfect. However, the NV was designed to get somewhere, get out and about all day, and use it as a kitchen/bathroon/bedroom. It wasn’t ideal for a lounge but then that wasn’t its purpose. Sadly, wifey has a foot issue (2ys ongoing) meaning going out walking/biking all day is not possible and she/we need to lounge around and sit inside/outside van lounging. So after a backpacking trip to Taiwan was cancelled in Feb ’20 (covid) we brought the bigger van forward and built it in lockdowns. Earlier than planned but that was the only reason – and yep, we use it on “sites and rallies” sitting outside and not out and about as much. We’ve seen the NV out with new owners and they use it with an awning and use it differently and more site usage etc – do is/was actually viable in that use if used differently. Could not fault it – not for everyone but we had lots of fun. We’d not have built van2 yet if Mel was fixed and no covid…… New van v different in size and budged! Full build is on here and mostly YouTube.

2021/10/03 at 1:00 pm
  • From nicholas e. forster on Ford Transit TDCi, low power, low boost (p0235) - Fixed!

Very helpful. We have power loss on our 2002 2.4l Duratorque powered campervan and as yet have not resolved the problem. It’s going to a vehicle electrics specialist and if he needs pointers I am sure this will be useful to him, if he has not already seen it.
    I agree with most on here that going to a Ford main dealer would probably be a very expensive waste of time. Will let you know how we get on.
    Thanks Nick

2021/09/29 at 6:21 pm
    • From Ryan and Mel on Ford Transit TDCi, low power, low boost (p0235) - Fixed!

Good luck!
      I do hear the occassional good story of just “diesel specialists” – like man-in-van who only do diesel diagnostics…. No experience of any but consider that too. Diesel engines are fairly simple on one hand, its just the specifics and tuning that makes them complex! So a good guy would be clued up. (For the new van, 2.3 Ducato, Ill be buying the full OBD interfaces and software! Ford aren’t experts sadly, just (IME) barely trained technicians with zero diagnostic skills (a good diagnoser would’ve found fault in 15 mins using the Ford IDS software correctly: Think Turbo issue eh? “Actuate turbo”. Hmm didn’t move. But the solenoid clicked. Check vacuum (OK). Solenoid (OK). Hmmm Tube blocked? Oh………. But only diagnositics was code read (MAP pressure wrong, no shit) – needs a new intercooler/MAP sensoer. (Despite me saying I’ve had the sensor off and validated readings on ECU). Shocking. GOOD LUCK! πŸ™‚

2021/09/30 at 8:36 am
  • From Ellie the van on NV200: Fitting Diesel heater

Glad I found this, someone else who did a heater in the nv200! I’ve been waking up in the cold with heavy condensation on the windows, and need a heater. I think a small one will just about fit under the passenger seat box but those horizontal strength bars might be in the way, and also there’s a chassis been right underneath. Also was thinking to fit it externally but that comes with other problems. I like your idea but I was worried about my rotating seat getting stuck, then I saw your seat rotates, so I think this is the way forward! Thank you πŸ™‚

2021/09/27 at 5:09 pm
  • From Pete Jones on Fitting air suspension to rear of ducato

Hello and thanks for the advice and video. I can’t find the items on eBay, other sellers seem to have brackets that require undoing the leaf spring U-Bolts. Do you have any contact details for the seller you bought your kit from please?

2021/09/17 at 10:15 am
    • From Ryan and Mel on Fitting air suspension to rear of ducato

Wow – you are right! The seller was robrob444 – https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/robrob444 – but they do not seem to have anything for sale today, but seems to have had feedback in the last month – https://www.ebay.co.uk/fdbk/feedback_profile/robrob444?lb=1 – so may be worth contacting them – may just be a case of them waiting for stock. Still no complaints with it – works well still

2021/09/19 at 1:42 pm
  • From Ron Bentham on Fixing Malaga 3 hot water heater ignitor/burner

Hi thanks for the great write up! My problem is that my boiler is no longer producing enough hot water! It works – it ignites, I have flame, but after we both noticed that our normal shower routine was turning cold half way through, I tested it by measuring the water flow with a jug – I only get 6 litres of hot water out of the tap.

I have blown out the burner compartment with fresh air, but that made no difference. So now I am about to remove the burner, but mine appears to be sealed with some sort of clear silicone – presumably high temperature. I notice from your photo that you have a brown gasket. The silicone on mine looks factory – it is very neat and tidy, and I have no indication from the previous owner who built the bus that it has ever been owner repaired. So I am concerned that before I do the job, I need to have the correct sealer to hand. Any ideas?

Many thanks! Greetings from New Zealand.

2021/08/24 at 3:50 am
    • From Ryan and Mel on Fixing Malaga 3 hot water heater ignitor/burner

Hi
      No idea on the specific sealant I’m afraid, and it was a long time ago!
      I think you are over thinking the boiler! If its the same model (do check!) then it has 13L of water. Its not a complex beast – but if after 1hr of heating it only has 6L of hot water, then the issue cannot be gas or boiler function as it just has one area for water.
      I’d check for air locks in the boiler – it may be due to pipework keeping 7L of air in the boiler and you are only heating 6 of water? Or your tap is knackered and not pulling off the hot water.
      I’m no expert, but I cant think of anything in the boiler gas/flame side that would only heat 6L? After 1hr any “near” water would get hot by conduction anyway.
      Good luck!

2021/08/24 at 12:43 pm
  • From Gary on NV200 - Progress update

Hi Guys πŸ™‚

Thank you so much – I’m really impressed, and inspired by your work, advice/guidance and working progress pics.
    I’ve started our dream (NV200) with greater confidence because of it.

Cheers

Gary

2021/08/15 at 10:09 am
    • From Ryan and Mel on NV200 - Progress update

Good luck! There is an NV200 facebook group where others have done similar and different, and so many ways of doing it. Make it your own and enjoy! Good luck

2021/08/22 at 4:56 pm
  • From Jim S on Q1 2017.... (kitchen DIY!)

The Bodgers prevail!

Great remodel.

2021/07/30 at 5:37 pm
  • From Jim S on NV200: Van complete - final pics and video

Kind of inspiring, really.
    Just like a Swiss Army knife, only you can drive it!

2021/07/30 at 5:32 pm
  • From mr h olland on NV200: Removing bulkhead

Do you still have the bulkhead you removed? Realise you posted these pictures a long time ago, but this mesh bulkhead is difficult to find!!

2021/07/14 at 9:23 pm
  • From luis on First Campsite Outing

Hi Ryan
    The video you made about fitting the towbar to your ducato 2020
    It says: bypass relay required? yes, sold separately. Did you buy this relay as well?

Many thanks in advance
    Luis

2021/07/12 at 11:22 am
    • From Ryan and Mel on First Campsite Outing

Hi
      I bought the DEDICATED wiring kit from PF Jones – this is plug n play e.g. remove plug to light cluster, and plug “box” between the wire and the cluster. This makes no change to the van wiring so is safe and “invisible” to the van. Does need 12v feed which was the hardest thing to get lol – see my video. You can use bypass relays but they are the cheap n cheerful way, more work, and more prone to damaging van wiring, and could cause warrantee type issues
      good luck

2021/07/15 at 1:13 pm
  • From Elliot M on NV200: Fitting swivel plate and runners to passenger seat

Great writeup, very informative!
    I just bought an NV200 for some lonely travelling and I want to do what you have done with the passenger seat. It has a steel bulkhead though. I would like to keep most of the bulkhead on the drivers side and if the steel is thick enough, remove 30-40% of the passenger side to create a walkway.
    I’m getting ahead of myself though, the van hasn’t even been delivered yet, but thank you for the detailed information!

2021/07/09 at 1:20 am
  • From sam on Heating (Diesel & Electric)

Hi, how did you install the standpipe into the tank?

Thanks

2021/07/04 at 3:42 am
    • From Ryan and Mel on Heating (Diesel & Electric)

I ended up using https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334027486456 and putting it through a whole in the top with stainless self tapper screws and also fix-all as a sealant around the top. Works well and is air tight. I’m then using quick release connector, like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234041125006 to allow the tank to be removed for filling

2021/07/04 at 9:42 am
      • From Kris Sharma on Heating (Diesel & Electric)

I don’t see where you put in the screws? Any shot you can share more pictures. I’m stuck on installing hte standpipe too and have gone through 2 leaking tanks from the bottom so really need to learn this .My email is krissharma84 gmail if easier! Thanks!!

2021/09/13 at 6:38 pm
        • From Ryan and Mel on Heating (Diesel & Electric)

Aha – yes, the picture above is version 1 which needed changing to v2

2021/09/14 at 8:59 am
        • From Ryan and Mel on Heating (Diesel & Electric)

Hi. I bought this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284084113563 as my stand pipe – and then used stixall between it and the rubber and stainless self tappers into the to top of the bottle. (As bottle isn’t “flat”). I think I curved the plate a bit too. Then from the connector to a quick release connector https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272616776005 then to the normal fuel line. Makes removing the tank trivial (single drip lost only, and fuel does not “run away” down the pipe).
          Hope that helps?

2021/09/14 at 8:57 am
  • From Neil and Sandra on Ducato self build campervan, 11 weeks update

Hi Ryan

Thanks for sharing all your van build knowledge. We bought Peugeot Boxer H2L2 and are inspired by your layout. We love the idea of having a garage and a functional area.
    We have ordered our van with the interface box and (to our surprise) have not received any manual or instruction on how to use it. I have noticed that in one of your videos you are mentioning connecting to an interface box. Would you be able to share any knowledge – we wish to connect our DC to DC Renogy charger to it.

2021/05/20 at 7:57 pm
    • From Ryan and Mel on Ducato self build campervan, 11 weeks update

Hi
      Sorry, your comment was spammed for some reason! Yes, you need to go to https://www.misterg.org.uk/camper-converters-socket.html and read that. That is well written and covers the socket. The only pain is getting the terminal for the +12v feed but the info on teh page is accurate. We are only using +12v, KEY+ and D+ wires (KEY+ and D+ to run a relay to give +12v on “my” D+) – MrG block will explain all. My 0v Im taking direct from chassis. Just be aware D+ is actually “0v on active” whereas things (B2B, step, tracker etc) expect “+12v on active” hence the relay
      Hope this answers q – good luck!
      (PS layout works really well in the real world!)

2021/05/23 at 2:15 pm
  • From Craig T on Fitting air suspension to rear of ducato

Great write up! I’m looking at adding one of these kits to my Ducato based Motorhome. A year on, are you still happy with the quality of the kit & your dual gauge setup?

2021/05/14 at 4:47 pm
    • From Ryan and Mel on Fitting air suspension to rear of ducato

Not quite a year, but the van is finished and heavy – and the air suspension is doing well – no issues at all with the kit and to be fair I do not envisage any. the brackets are “perfect” and substantial, and the bags are branded and I assume replacable. Van drives really well (considering) and glad I did it. The kit I do like and would recommend, but I would say a dual gauge (indpendant) setup is the better way to go and worth the small increase in cost. I’m aware of a few others who have copied me (lol) and all seem happy too. I would say, do it sooner rather than later – the toughest part is removing the old bump-stop/cone/suspension helper – on mine, new van, easy. On an old van the captive nut can rust and break off leaving with you a challenge. Google it – same issue affects all kits and is van related not kit. If old, consider spraying with magic penetrating lube stuff a day before πŸ™‚ Good luck

2021/05/14 at 5:29 pm
  • From Steven Rose on Self Build Campervan/Motorhome index

Which make and model of stove and sink unit did you use? would you use it again?

2021/05/10 at 11:45 pm
    • From Ryan and Mel on Self Build Campervan/Motorhome index

Hi. In the NV we used CAN1501 sink, but that was no longer available, so in the Ducato we used Smev 9722. The former is easier to install; the latter has more following and hence more spares available. For sure, both are good enough. In the new van, we could’ve gone bigger as the smev is really a campervan setup (not motorhome) – but our CAD looked tight so we went with the 9722. Its fine, but we could’ve gone bigger and possibly should’ve – but equally, having space around it is damn useful too! So depends on your use. No grill/oven works well – get a ridgemonkey. So yes, possibly would use the same again, but may also look at slightly bigger now we know there is room – but its good enough not to consider changing. Hope that answers q?

2021/05/11 at 11:15 am
  • From barry woolford on Fitting air suspension to rear of ducato

Great product
    Question please.
    If you only have one gauge and are both bellows pumped up at the same time ?
    Thanks

2021/05/08 at 8:40 pm
    • From Ryan and Mel on Fitting air suspension to rear of ducato

PS – I should add, I’ve seen kits with single dial and a valve to select which side, but I didn’t like this approach – I want to see both sides pressure at all times

2021/05/08 at 9:07 pm
    • From Ryan and Mel on Fitting air suspension to rear of ducato

Hi
      Yes, the kit I have would’ve come with a “T” piece and the bellows would be the same pressure. However, also, on cornering, air from the one under most pressure could go to the other via the “T”. So, IMO, having a split system will be more stable. (I asked the supplier on ebay to supply 2nd gauge which they did).
      Really happy with it, and the price, and the build quality of the brackets (and branded bellows). I know a few others have bought the same after me and all been happy.
      Easy to fit, hardest thing is removing the old bump stop thing if your van is old and its rusty (mine was new so easy), so bear that in mind as the captive nut can come off and cause challenges.
      Good luck

2021/05/08 at 8:45 pm
  • From Serdar on NV200: Fitting Diesel heater

Hi, thank you for sharing this information. I would like to ask you have you thought or tried to install your diesel heater under the passenger or driver seat?
    Best Regards,
    Serdar

2021/04/14 at 7:27 pm
  • From Nick young on Fitting air suspension to rear of ducato

Just seen your website and very impressed with the detail.
    The question is do you think it is best to have 2 gauges. I will fit the system, pressurise to the max and then leave it alone. The system is to purely increase my motorhome payload to max. So would one gauge suffice?

Thanks.

2021/04/05 at 4:11 pm
    • From Ryan and Mel on Fitting air suspension to rear of ducato

Sorry, this comment was spammed!
      Personally, I think 2x gauges are better as it stops air moving from one bellow to the other under cornering, and will also help with leak detection. My kit, they only supply 1x gauge so I asked for another.
      Oh – don’t pressurise to the max – it’ll be rock hard!! It won’t legally change the moho payload, it will just make it ride better/higher and look less loaded, but won’t incease payload capacity unless you then get it replated etc – but there will be other requirements to that – speak to experts if you need to replate (e.g. sv tech)

2021/05/08 at 8:49 pm
  • From alison davis on NV200 remote key fob reset/re program

useful info but at the end when you say press button on key fob is it the lock or unlock button on the fob

2021/03/15 at 7:33 am
  • From Angela on New MWB Campervan Build (Ideas...!)

Oops, just found the link:) Fantastic thanks

2021/01/19 at 2:52 pm
  • From Angela on New MWB Campervan Build (Ideas...!)

Hi there, did you ever publish this floor plan. I am a complete novice and want a MWB with a garage too but not finding what I am looking for so far. Your design sounds like what we are looking for but struggling. Would love a pic, if you did manage it πŸ™‚

2021/01/19 at 2:51 pm
  • From Sarah Hughes on Finished build of new camper!

Hey Ryan and Mel
    Saw your great clip on the lift for the rock and roll bed, it would be a great help to me as I really struggle with the bed due to arthritis.
    I have been unable to source the lift mechanism, can you help with telling me where I could get one
    Many thanks
    Sarah

2021/01/12 at 10:43 am
    • From Ryan and Mel on Finished build of new camper!

And another
      Hi Sharon. 3yrs blimey. Feels like yesterday. Still working well though :)Every install is different so I can’t be specific. But look up 12v linear actuator – eg https://amzn.to/2Zyletf or ebay. Probably around Β£30-40 mark max. Size depends on your bed and how its fixed. Ours just pushes “up” and not fixed on the downstroke.. And simply, a DPDT momentary switch https://amzn.to/2rE6pJd – and look at our blog. That should be enough to go on? Good luck

2021/01/12 at 11:33 am
    • From Ryan and Mel on Finished build of new camper!

Hi Sarah
      If you go to the Youtube link direct https://youtu.be/7QVPqNIXZkg – and scroll down, the same question has been asked by others – so if you expand the comments/replies you’ll get me answering for others. Answers may be a bit old now, or out of stock, but is a good basis for you to search. One reply was: Really not sure what you want, but I’ll try. You need to know how much you want to push up – and how much space underneath. So you then need a 12v actuator – like http://amzn.to/2s0nU3F – which is a 10″ one. You can get 8″. the size is really all you need. Power one way (eg + and – )and it goes up (to stop) and the other way (- and +) it goes down (to stop). how you make it fit and work is up to your design. the switch is http://amzn.to/2s0nU3F which is a DPDT momentary rocker. Use centre pins to the actuator. then put +12v on side 1 “up” and 2 “down” and 0v on side 2 down and 1 up. So the centre pins get + and – when pressed one way, and – and + when pressed the other.then just fabricate brackets you need and hey presto….!Its an “easy” job, but you need to think about how the motor can help you. e.g. on ours, we only push the bed up. So, I used a different switch than above (but wired the same). So rather than having 2 positions (and sitting in the middle) mine is always off unless pressed. So I press the button and it goes up – let go and it goes down. So totally depends on your usage.Good luck

2021/01/12 at 11:31 am
  • From Hans on Finished build of new camper!

Thank you! This will save me a humongous amount of time and brain pain. If you ever pass Gothenburg, Sweden I hope you let me offer you a meal and some home brewed beer.

2021/01/10 at 1:53 pm
    • From Ryan and Mel on Finished build of new camper!

Very kind – with the mention of beer…. πŸ™‚
      May I suggest you look at sbmcc forum? Its the best self build forum I know of – quality vs quantity of posts is very high. I’d not have started or finished without the advice from there.

2021/01/10 at 3:19 pm
  • From Hans on Finished build of new camper!

Firstly I want to thank you for sharing your amazing work. I find your choice of layout ingenious, really different and in my opinion creating a unique feeling of an apartment. I am currently in the startup process with a clean Boxer L2H2 and tempted to copy your design. My two big questions are: fixed bed or a sofa conversion, and storage; for example, where do you store outdoor furnitures if you have your bikes with you? Lastly, and this may be a difficult question. Would you have chosen the same layout for a single person?

2021/01/08 at 9:27 pm
    • From Ryan and Mel on Finished build of new camper!

Thanks for kind comments! Feel free to copy. Other videos and pics show CAD onwards, of you want the CAD files let me know (Sketchup 2017)
      Camping Chairs (that roll into a bag) and (flat) sunloungers and power kite and kick scooter will all fit into the garage with the bikes.
      Would I do the same if single? Yes – brilliant – single bed without making it up. Double if you get lucky. Loads of room – and more loungable than most L2 layouts. (Captain chairs are too formal).
      Watch our CAD walk though video to see reasoning for L sofa and not cab. It actually gives more storage; more and more comfortable seating area; and easier to insulate. Not right for all, so think it though
      Good luck!

2021/01/08 at 9:40 pm
      • From Hans on Finished build of new camper!

Thanks, I would love to get the sketchup file.
        I agree 100% regarding the cab seats, after a long drive you don’t want to get near them. And you want your home to feel like a home and not a van. Btw, did you end up building your own bathroom floor?

2021/01/09 at 7:05 am
        • From Ryan and Mel on Finished build of new camper!

Yes, see other videos for one on the bathroom, and see photo gallery showing how floor was made.
          Sketchup file here: http://www.doyourdream.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/MH2-Ducato-Design-Ryan-www.doyourdream.co_.uk-.zip

2021/01/09 at 9:01 am
  • From Eric on NV200: Fitting Solar Panels

Hi!
    How long could you stay off-grid with your setup during a sunny holiday? Your record?

Greetings from Sweden!

2021/01/05 at 10:07 pm
    • From Ryan and Mel on NV200: Fitting Solar Panels

(note: we did have 2x dedicated leisure batteries)

2021/01/05 at 10:13 pm
    • From Ryan and Mel on NV200: Fitting Solar Panels

Indefinately. Longest trip in this van was 6 weeks (Norway and Sweden!)
      In the summer, the batteries were 100% charged by 9am or 10am from solar – and that was after running lights/laptop and fridge 24×7. Add in driving, and its even quicker. Over winter, the solar will struggle, but during the summer – 120w was totally fine.

2021/01/05 at 10:13 pm
  • From Eric on NV200: Getting 12v engine feed to rear

Hi!
    Really great blog of your NV200 conversation! I’m currently making my own NV200 camper and here is so much inspiration.

My biggest question mark is the D250S (not SA or SE) which I got for a good price. Can you guys confirm that your setup works good and that the car has no smart alternator, or did you do any further changes?

Greetings from Sweden!

2021/01/05 at 10:00 pm
    • From Ryan and Mel on NV200: Getting 12v engine feed to rear

Hi, ive sold the van now. The d250s was faultless. Simple, basic, but just worked. Ours (MY16) did not have a smart alternator. The d250s was perfect size on the NV

2021/01/05 at 10:11 pm
  • From Shirley Stewart on Van#2 Build, Weeks 1 & 2... (Floor, Windows)

Hi. Do you need to buy a fitting kit with every window you put in. We have a vauxhall vivaro 2017 plate.
    First time doing a converstion. Thanks.

2021/01/03 at 11:22 pm
  • From Hector on Ford Transit TDCi, low power, low boost (p0235) - Fixed!

Just writing to give a huge THANK YOU, you have been the most helpful aid after a few weeks looking for some information to fix my van (same as yours).

Problem was the same and finally found that black and black/white vacuum hoses were not wrong, but one of them was not attached, so problem solved, amazing.

Anyway, I link your blog to continue with the long list of maintenance you show here in order to keep my van as healthy as possible.

King Regards.

2020/11/29 at 8:19 pm
  • From Michael Lowe, (mick L) on Van#2 Build, Weeks 1 & 2... (Floor, Windows)

thanks for the info on sketch up.
    i tried on my desk top before i came away, brought my lap top but not working out.
    very interested how you get on with the foam backed leatherette.
    its something im looking at using, looks a really nice finish.
    i watched dantheman on youtube using it. looked easy.
    good luck

2020/08/15 at 10:23 am
    • From Ryan and Mel on Van#2 Build, Weeks 1 & 2... (Floor, Windows)

Thanks! Will be uploading week 5 update later…. The scrim foam leatherette looks good, but would be slow – e.g. you need to spray and affix then let dry. If you try and manipulate you can squish in the foam and it sticks… Not ideal!

2020/08/15 at 12:20 pm
  • From MR Brian COLLIS on Self Build Campervan/Motorhome index

Hi Mel & Ryan, really looking forward to your van 2 build series. On your latest video you mentioned the towbar install, did you do do this or was it a factory install? Lastly is there a way to get notified of new blog posts? Cheers Brian

2020/07/20 at 8:12 am
    • From Ryan and Mel on Self Build Campervan/Motorhome index

Tow bar post added as well as YouTube vid. No idea how to add a notify thing on here – so that may take a while

2020/07/21 at 8:21 pm
    • From Ryan and Mel on Self Build Campervan/Motorhome index

Hi
      I fitted tow bar – there will be a video coming up soon πŸ™‚ It was the first job which had “challenges” and I had to await other parts. It was an OK job, apart from getting some electrics working.
      Hmm – you are right, no “follow” on the blog. I’ll take a look later in the week and see if I can fix that.
      You can subscribe to YouTube of course
      I’ll shout when I’ve fixed/found “follow”!

2020/07/20 at 8:20 am
  • From Adrian Hall on Van #2 Build Index

Love the layout and design – particularly like the Sketchup vehicle base – where did you get this from?
    Is it possible to get the base sketchup project to start our design? πŸ™‚

2020/07/11 at 8:07 pm
    • From Ryan and Mel on Van #2 Build Index

Hi.
      The base van is in Sketchup libary – so see https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/search/?q=ducato – I just picked one, deleted everything inside, and started from scratch. I did check the dimensions!
      I’ve never used Sketchup before, so took me a day or two to create the model and then fine tune it from there. Good luck

2020/07/12 at 7:54 am
  • From Brian on NV200: Fitting towbar and electrics

Hi, a very useful bit of information shared, thankyou. I am about to fit a towbar to my nv200 and electrics to suit caravan towing. I believe this also has to provide a live feed for my 12v fridge and charging for the leisure battery. Can I ask you, did you have all the necessary wiring in your kit, as I think some cables have to be run towards the front of the vehicle, or were all your connections made at the rear corners?

2020/06/24 at 11:31 am
    • From Ryan and Mel on NV200: Fitting towbar and electrics

Hi
      As far as I remember, the kit had everything in it, and for constant +12v the guide said to connect to the front battery
      This was optional
      I did not need it or want it so didn’t connect it.
      (Note also I have +12v from engine in the back anyway for the battery to battery charger as its a camper – so for me, if I wanted it, I’d just connect to that (fused).)
      Its not a tough job – just be careful removing bumper (daunting but mine was OK) – and do wires and bar together – I did bar then refitted bumper then had to remove it again for the wires!

2020/06/24 at 11:38 am
  • From Anne webster on Mini Trip - South Downs

Hi do you still have the Nissan nv200 campervan? I am thinking of getting one converted. (The electric version) we are keen to see one in the flesh slate looking for a friendly person who would let us see theirs. Some for sale and 150 or 200 miles away from us. We live in bedfordshire. I am a nurse in nhs and can retire early at 55 this year so hubby and I want to do travel around the uk. Any help or advice welcome. Kind regards Anne

2020/06/14 at 12:49 pm
    • From Ryan and Mel on Mini Trip - South Downs

Hi. We do but are in Wilts. If you are on Facebook there is an NV200 forum there and people all around, and a few with electric. The elec is a good idea, but depends on your usage – for us it’d not work (trips of many 1000s of miles). Campsites don’t have enough power to charge EVs. So plan carefully…. Ours may be for sale in a month or so if our new van comes as expected…

2020/06/14 at 12:53 pm
  • From jsheridan560@gmail.com on NV200: Fitting Diesel heater

Fantastic really appreciated I was thinking about the NV200 now I will definitely get one thanks again ……from IRELAND

2020/06/06 at 5:44 pm
  • From Cliff Cardoza on New Van Ordered...!

Just discovered your site after much web searching and looking at camper vans, and it’s very helpful. I plan to build a van based on an MWB ducato. Good compromise between living space and parking in the UK.

Your design is the best I’ve seen in addressing the sitting/sleeping vs storage space for bikes etc. I believe that a garage and shower room are essential but most commercial designs combine this with a fixed bed which limits living space and means you have to sit in the driving seats rather than ‘lounge’ on long seats.

I would go with your design but unfortunately I will need to access the van from the rear. My car port is covered on three sides, so difficult to access through the side door when parked.

Have been thinking about a design where the seats/ bed are in the rear and can be repositioned to form a garage (or not) as needed. Also wondering whether to go with the traditional toilet and shower room, or a narrow shower with removable porter potty to save space.

Could I ask what CAD package you used for the design?

Good luck with the build. I will be following with great interest.

2020/04/28 at 11:49 am
    • From Ryan and Mel on New Van Ordered...!

Hi. CAD is Sketchup – 2017 version so laptop based not web. Still available on their site. the van was an existing model I imported (dimensionally correct). Porta poti can work well – our loo in this is a c200s which is actually quite small. But is expensive in comparison. If you are not on it, look at sbmcc forum. Its a paid forum but guests allowed 10 posts – more good ideas there than any other site. You could do what you say and have rear lounge and fold up the ends of the seats for a garage. Bear in mind the wheel arches take a lot of space…. All vans a compromise and everyone is unique! No right answer.

We’ve 90%+ of the parts already – but the van is delayed – was due to be built last week but the SEVEL factory has been closed due to the virus, so probably 2m late, so may not get it till July/Aug…. Who knows!

2020/04/28 at 11:55 am
  • From John Reader on Fixing Malaga 3 hot water heater ignitor/burner

Just found this online, absolute life saver, hopefully get my water heater fired up on gas in no time!

Thanks

2020/04/03 at 3:14 pm
  • From Maurice Couzens on Ford Transit TDCi, low power, low boost (p0235) - Fixed!

Main agents should not be allowed work on or service motors,
    Two year old with oil leak, had van for four days and decide it was the pipe going in to the turbo.
    Collected van pool of oil on drive , returned to them again kept it for three days took off the oil pan and resealed it, back on the drive and you guest it more oil.
    they then could not do anything till the end of month. Having a little know how jacked up motor with the aid of light found oil pipe bottom engine to turbo split. Main Agent close them down

2020/02/12 at 9:36 am
  • From Rusty lee on VAN#2 - "Final" spec and design

Hi Ryan and Mel lovely to see your next camper ideas. Would be great to catch up with you both.

Rusty lee

2020/02/03 at 9:16 pm
    • From Ryan and Mel on VAN#2 - "Final" spec and design

Hey! thanks for comment. I’ve recommended your bed and the like to lots of people – its still a masterpiece and faultless. Built Van 1 around it!! Hope some of the people I’ve name dropped have been your customers.

Van#2 very much green light – just finalising the spec of van potentially to order this week…. Little NV will be 4 in a few weeks (!) well used but going strong! Bed in Van#2 won’t be rock n roll or belted, so will be a simple wooden affair… Else you’d have had a visit!

Best wishes
      Ryan & Mel

2020/02/03 at 9:21 pm
  • From Terry Hull on Ford Transit TDCi, low power, low boost (p0235) - Fixed!

Thank you for taking the time to write up your problem and the detailed process that you followed in order to find the solution. There are so many people on here that post a question, discuss it at great length and then don’t have the decency to let everyone know the end result. You have helped me find the answer to my own problem which, as it happens, was almost exactly the same as yours. So, once again Thank you.

2020/01/21 at 3:22 pm
  • From Neil on NV200: Insulating and installing Floor

Hi what trim did you use to finish around the edge of the floor please great job by the way I’m just doing my nv now

2019/11/28 at 8:03 am
    • From Ryan and Mel on NV200: Insulating and installing Floor

Hi. Where abouts? In most places, nothing. Over the door edge and rear? If so I used a large rubber stair nose and cut it down and fixed with stixall

2019/11/28 at 3:12 pm
      • From Neil on NV200: Insulating and installing Floor

Yes that’s it around the doors many thanks

2019/11/28 at 10:59 pm
        • From Ryan and Mel on NV200: Insulating and installing Floor

Hi. It was Retrofit Flexible PVC Stair Nosings (Colour: Grey,, Length: 100cm,) STPVC-RMP62/39-GRY-100 from https://www.nationalstairnosings.co.uk/search.php?search_query=STPVC-RMP62%2F39-GRY-100&Search= – but they only seem to have the black now. It was massive and needed cutting down (as expected). I was trying to avoid aluminium profile. Next time, I’d use aluminium nosing πŸ™‚

2019/11/29 at 8:03 am
  • From Ken Tiessen on NV200: Curtains and blinds

Hi- Love your NV build! Mine (US) will be much simpler for travel and painting, but could you give more info and/or detail shot(s) of the cab/cargo curtain rail? (The link is not active anymore) It is aluminum (dimensions?) with your bends- I should be able to manage that with a form like yours. Very much appreciated! Ken

2019/10/12 at 3:53 pm
    • From Ryan and Mel on NV200: Curtains and blinds

Hi. the link http://www.doyourdream.co.uk/2016/04/nv200-fitting-cab-curtain-rail/ has all the info and should work ok? The rain is silent glass 1025 – eg https://www.sg-s.co.uk/1025-rail-only-silver-per-metre That’s all I can tell you? The US van is different dimensions… Good luck

2019/10/12 at 4:52 pm
  • From Zak_Mel on Electric Grey Waste Dump (Campervan/motorhome upgrade)

Hi, Good luck with your new project. I remember asking a lot of questions about the NV200 build. We finished ours and after trying it for a few short trips we decided to move into it full time. Unfortunately the mattress wasn’t suitable for my partner so we had to have proper one. We sold it and we bought a Sprinter MWB which we managed to finish in about 6 months and now we are living in it full time!! All the best!

2019/10/04 at 2:06 pm
    • From Ryan and Mel on Electric Grey Waste Dump (Campervan/motorhome upgrade)

Think the NV is tight for full time! We’ve had 6w+ trips but trips/holiday is different than full time where you want rest space as well. The new build will be interesting, it’ll be fully documented/videoed and will be as much as a challenge as the NV as we will want full shower/wet room and onboard garage for bikes and boards all to a “pro finish” (that’s the target) on a MWB! I’m sure some NV tricks will be applied!

2019/10/06 at 5:53 pm
  • From James on Electric lift for Rock n Roll bed

Never mind, I see it has built in limiting switches, obvious when I read the description properly πŸ™‚

2019/09/13 at 1:58 am
    • From Ryan and Mel on Electric lift for Rock n Roll bed

lol. Yeah – the limit switches on the actuator turn it on/off. The switch is also important, its a DPDT switch which is non latching spring, so is always in position 1 (giving power to actuator to “go short”) and when you press it in it goes to position 2 (giving power to actuator to go up). Use “common” on each pole as + and – and then the actuator croxxed

eg

Ac+ V+ Ac-
      Av- V- Ac+

2019/09/13 at 8:09 am
  • From James on Electric lift for Rock n Roll bed

Do you have a basic wiring diagram for this mod?

2019/09/13 at 1:35 am
  • From Paul Davies on NV200: Fitting swivel plate and runners to passenger seat

Great write up… many thanks! Will form the basis of my first job on my newly acquired NV200

2019/08/23 at 10:47 am
  • From Karen on NV200: Fitting skylight

Hi guys,

Inspired by your brilliant blog I am just about to purchase a NV200.

Couple of questions about ventilation.

Do you find that the roof vent is sufficient or would one including a fan help. Also how much do you use the aircon in the cab. As I’m buying secondhand there are not many Accentas with aircon but I have my eye on a Tekna.

Sorry one more question. If doing this again with all the info you have would you fit a poptop for more headroom , or do they just not work well with solar panels and the issue of ventilation when they are in the down position. I know that there is also the cost to consider.

Thanks
    Karen.

2019/08/19 at 6:39 pm
    • From Ryan and Mel on NV200: Fitting skylight

Hi Karen.
      The roof light is brilliant, perfect size and good enough ventilation (quad air). Lots of light. TBH – we have the rear and off-side windows covered most of the time…. (On a campsite as we speak, and that’s how we are! Windscreen covered too. Its fine for normal UK temps. We have bought a fiamma fan which is 12v and clips over – not used yet but on our last trip in France we needed it (heat wave!). The cab aircon – yes, we do use a lot if we are in a hot climate… It also demists the windscreen quicker.
      Been on campsite 4 nights (Edinburgh festival) running 12v compressor fridge and with solar only – and current at 103% full lol. So solar for us is essential. As for pop-top… Personal choice. We’d not have one if we did an NV again we’re happy with out, but some others swear by them. 90% of our usage is AWAY from campsites so pop-top not always suitable. We don’t “live in” the van – we’re always out and about. different usage, and you may want one. Or a bigger van! Deffo personal choice….. Get onto the NV200 camper group on facebook – you will get many more ideas.
      Hope this helps

2019/08/19 at 7:49 pm
  • From David Miller on 240v Electrics

Hi, great job on the van! I’ve recently had my Nv200 converted. We’re experiencing some issues with the mains hookup. When hooked up, a static charge builds up on the outside of the van and gives a static shock when you touch it. Did you experience anything like this?

2019/08/14 at 1:56 pm
    • From Ryan and Mel on 240v Electrics

Sorry for delay
      No – no static charge on hookup. Doesn’t sound right. My earth is bonded to the chassis and no issues.

2019/08/19 at 11:22 am
  • From Richard on NV200: Curtains and blinds

Hi need help just bought NV200 can anyone help with ready made blinds maybe contact no.also can any one help with best bike carrier tow bar fitted,
    Thanks

2019/06/17 at 7:53 pm
  • From Steve Turner on Why Van #2 Idea

Hi Ryan & Mel
    Wow, what a van and what an inspiration you are. My wife and I have been camping and using as a works car our NV200 for the last 3 years, not a patch on yours but it has proved superb, its on about its 3rd design!now with a raised rear bed with storage below and passenger swivel, its just completed 2 months tour of France,Spain and Portugal. However, like you, we intend to spend more time touring since off loading our business and are now contemplating a bigger van to convert maybe a Ducato mid size, however we’re so reluctant to give up the NV its so cheap to run and so easy to get about. We used your site for guidance before and so now are watching to see which way you decide to go. That said as a last attempt to squeeze more room out of this great van, we are considering adding a removable side panel to allow us to sleep across which I think I’ve sorted and with the extra space this gives us I want to swivel the drivers seat but cannot find out how to either move or lower the handbrake to allow the seat to spin, I just can’t spend Β£400+ on a zooom design which I think rises over. Any advice?? Either way many thanks for your advice and stories, genuinely.

2019/06/10 at 9:22 pm
    • From Ryan and Mel on Why Van #2 Idea

Hi
      Thanks for the kind words!
      Our drivers seat doesn’t rotate – it would not work for our build. I don’t know if its possible without Zoom… Are you on the NV200 facebook groups – loads of conversions there and I’m sure someone will know if it is possible….
      Lovely to see someone else using and abusing them! Ours will get another months outing shortly….
      We are seriously considering van#2 in September 2020 – life is too short to delay and all that. But we have an improved design on L2H2 which can take bikes and boards and slightly more internal room than the CAD you see on this page. Presently just designing each join in my head so I know what is doable (by me) and designing out things I can’t do. We’ll know mid next year if we’re going to as we’ll be ordering new and getting it on the Sept registration…. The NV will be 4.5 years then, but undecided what we’d do – keep or sell… Problem is its probably worth more <5yo with the Nissan warrantee than 5y1m with no warrantee.... But the bigger van would not be usable as car#2 so we'd either need another car or less work. The latter is preferred πŸ™‚ Time will tell....

2019/06/10 at 9:36 pm
  • From Ellie Robertson on Self Build Campervan/Motorhome index

Hi Ryan and Mel,

Hoping you can help! I also have a Nissan NV200 but the combi version which my very clever partner (who is an electrician) is planning on connecting a leisure battery up for me but we cannot find any literature on which wire to connect to from the alternator? The split charger relay we have says to connect to either D or F wire, he’s torn between a blue and a green wire, do you happen to remember which one?!

Thanks in advance!