Removing headlining and insulating above cab

For Van2 build index click HERE and for Van2 YouTube Chanel click HERE and all pics from build HERE

Well that was a nice and easy job!

OK, the first part was – getting the headlining out was simple – see video – easy to do. Getting it back was fine, just a tip not in video – when putting the lower shelf in, you need to squeeze the middle uprights to let it past, and the metal bracket goes “into” the shelf, and a nice clunk as it goes over the clip.

Easy really

See video:

The bad parts though, ARGH!!! The idea of creating the bendy battens and insulating was great. But it should’ve stayed at the idea stage. The cellotex just was a bad idea. Buying 12mm closed cell insulation (high temp self adhesive) from vandalize was a great idea! That fitted well.

The main issues we had were:-

  • The van front is curved up/down, but its also curved outward. So if the battens are identical thickness, the inner ones are further away. We got around this – but in hindsight, use a straight edge across all battens to get a standard depth otherwise the ply has nothing to screw on
  • Fatigue… After 4 days, the end infills could’ve been better. Think I was knackered. could to better, and will later on. Needed to get this done and should’ve taken a bit more time.

Thats it really, if I knew the above and whats in the video before I started I’d have saved a couple of days effort and a fair few ££££ in redoing stuff. Good job bin day is tomorrow.

Overall happy, as we know the “poor bits” will be out of sight when the ceiling and cupboards are built, but equally I know we could’ve done a bit better.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.