• From Cycle from home to the south of France (900+ miles)…. – Do Your Dream!! on Cycling to the med - review - we're home!

[…] Cycling to the med – review – we’re home! […]

2017/07/18 at 11:04 am
  • From Cycling to the med – review – we’re home! – Do Your Dream!! on Cycle from home to the south of France (900+ miles)....

[…] Cycle from home to the south of France (900+ miles)…. […]

2017/07/18 at 11:01 am
  • From Phill C on Engine problem: Lack of power, stalling etc

Thanks for the info, will post the results when I have completed the job

2017/07/10 at 9:17 pm
  • From AllyFancy on Is Open Unsecured WiFi safe to use?

Wow, what a comprehensive explanation of the difference between Open and Secure wifi. Very helpful in my travels as well as when I’m settled in for a bit in a beautiful place. Thank you from the USA (no, he’s not my president!).

2017/06/30 at 9:29 pm
  • From Daniel on Contact Us

Wonderful page with great and interesting Information!

2017/05/21 at 8:43 pm
  • From Patrick on NV200: Insulating and installing Floor

Love this blog.Thank you for sharing. A few questions….The insulation used on floors,wheel wells,do you know of a US based company?
    Can I glue carpet directly to the insulation,especially on the wheel wells? I assume so since nothing was mentioned. ‘m pretty sure I will have more questions in the near future(yah you!)

2017/04/27 at 5:34 pm
    • From BLOG on NV200: Insulating and installing Floor

No idea of US company, its just 7mm closed cell foam with silver vapour barrier and one side and high temp adhesive on the other. You NEED high temp adhesive otherwise it will melt and drop off in the dun.
      I glued carpet directly to the insulation – see build pics. Again – HIGH QUALITY HIGH TEMP contact adhesive.

2017/04/27 at 5:49 pm
  • From Cycle from home to the south of France (900+ miles)…. – Do Your Dream!! on Stuff we're taking

[…] Stuff we’re taking […]

2017/04/26 at 8:19 pm
  • From Top tips for long cycle rides – Do Your Dream!! on Cycle from home to the south of France (900+ miles)....

[…] Cycle from home to the south of France (900+ miles)…. […]

2017/04/26 at 8:17 pm
  • From Stuff we’re taking – Do Your Dream!! on Cycle from home to the south of France (900+ miles)....

[…] Cycle from home to the south of France (900+ miles)…. […]

2017/04/26 at 8:17 pm
  • From Stuff we’re taking – Do Your Dream!! on REVIEW: Rechargeable Camping Light

[…] iGadget rechargeable light […]

2017/04/26 at 8:14 pm
  • From Cycle from home to the south of France (900+ miles)…. – Do Your Dream!! on Top tips for long cycle rides

[…] Top tips for long cycle rides […]

2017/04/26 at 7:53 pm
  • From Cycle from home to the south of France (900+ miles)…. – Do Your Dream!! on Cycle Route from home to south of France

[…] Cycle Route from home to south of France […]

2017/04/26 at 7:46 pm
  • From Cycle Route from home to south of France – Do Your Dream!! on Cycle Route to The Med!

[…] LAST TIME (see HERE ) […]

2017/04/26 at 7:44 pm
  • From Cycle from home to the south of France (900+ miles)…. – Do Your Dream!! on Cycle tour, North to South France

[…] Our LAST TRIP details […]

2017/04/26 at 6:42 pm
  • From David Stokes on Ford Transit TDCi, low power, low boost (p0235) - Fixed!

Hi very informative article,glad you got your problem sorted.The problem I have on my 2.4 durotorque 05 plate is when its in top gear roughly 50-60 mph wont go any faster than that when I put my foot down through to top gear the vehicle suddenly feels very lumpy like fuel restriction.your thoughts would be much appreciated cheers David.

2017/04/26 at 10:37 am
    • From BLOG on Ford Transit TDCi, low power, low boost (p0235) - Fixed!

No idea – I’ve never touched a 2.4 – the article was for my personal van only, but the checklist should be the same. Of course, injectors and fuel pump could be the issue too. Best bet is to go to fordtransit.org forum and ask there – but just do the obvious tests listed here first ๐Ÿ™‚

2017/04/26 at 10:42 am
  • From Bekki on NV200: Insulating, lining, and making use of hidden space

Hey this is all amazing! ๐Ÿ™‚ i also have this van which i use for work and occasionally camping at work (childrens entertainer at events).
    I have question though for rear insulation.. both sides is a small vent, mine are actually are quite dirty inside from dirt and moisture outside. Did you seal these parts off to make moisture barrier as well as carpeting over etc, or just kept open for more air flow? I also have a window so not sure if best to keep or just seal off?..
    Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

2017/04/26 at 9:34 am
    • From BLOG on NV200: Insulating, lining, and making use of hidden space

Hi Bekki
      Most definitely, left them open. Also the skylight is “always vented” as are the two side windows. You NEED air movement, otherwise you die ๐Ÿ™‚ But also if you sleep in the van the condensation will be immense and it will condensate on metal and rust the van eventually from the inside. So airflow is essential.

2017/04/26 at 9:41 am
      • From Bekki on NV200: Insulating, lining, and making use of hidden space

Great thanks for that ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m not normally a DIY’y kind of person but quite chuffed so far thanks to your blog! ๐Ÿ™‚ So now wondering if you created some sort of barrier between the vent area and where the insulation under your wood boxes meet (and same of course for the other side)? Or just roughly filled around the vent with fluff up to the side? Just a little wary of my fluff getting damp from it as its quite mucky in the vents.

2017/05/02 at 6:56 pm
        • From BLOG on NV200: Insulating, lining, and making use of hidden space

Nope. No barrier. The plastic cover over the vent was put back. No insulation or anything – totally clear for air flow.
          Insulated above and left inside (but left wiring cabling clear). Used the white wool type insulation (but its the non water absorbing stuff, not loft stuff). Don;’t use the loft stuff – it gets/stays wet.
          not seen any dirt there? But one side is behind the gas locker so out of site, and the other side under the bed is just there…. Not seen any muck there.
          I do have mudguards. do you?

2017/05/02 at 7:09 pm
  • From Eric Rok on NV200: Seat and Bed is here (Rusty lee rock n roll)!

I have been looking at the Nissan NV200 for some time but your conversion has now made up my mind.

I was initially looking at the Combi but your comments have now made me look at the van. I noticed in one of your comments re insurance that you said you wanted it for business as well as pleasure.

Did you get the VAT back on the vehicle based on the dual use?

2017/04/24 at 10:35 pm
    • From BLOG on NV200: Seat and Bed is here (Rusty lee rock n roll)!

No, our business is not vat registered so that wasn’t an option. Business use for us is just commuting. It was a 100% private purchase away from the business.
      If it was used as a van for a VAT registered business use,, then you may be able to get the vat back and/or tax relief – but you would need to use it as a van for the business. See your accountant as it probably is pushing the boundaries ๐Ÿ™‚ Using it as a van for 3 years then selling to yourself to convert may be possible – and why we see so many VW T5 trade vans!
      But, for us, nope – tax and vat fully paid ๐Ÿ™

2017/04/24 at 10:43 pm
  • From Martin on NV200: Seat and Bed is here (Rusty lee rock n roll)!

Hi
    We have enjoyed reading about your adventures in your NV200 so much so that we have paid a deposit for a year old NV200 Combi.
    However we have just hit a bit of a snag as I have discovered that taking out the rear seats will be classed as a modification and will invalidate any insurance. This is now putting us off completing the purchase.
    Could I ask you who you are insured with as they presumably are ok with the changes you have made. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2017/04/11 at 4:42 am
    • From BLOG on NV200: Seat and Bed is here (Rusty lee rock n roll)!

I’m surprised removing rear seats in the combi would invalidate insurance?
      For the first year, I was with Brentacre (Mark Study) who insured it as a van during the conversion, and were aware of all changes so I was fully legit.
      Second year, Adrian Flux.

My challenge was that I wanted a self-build campervan AND class-2 business insurance, and sadly the two didn’t readily mix.

So the above two, especially Brentacre, were very very flexible in modifications and not *that* expensive. (Though told, my paperwork n renewal wasn’t 100% perfect, hence I left).

2017/04/11 at 7:39 am
  • From jigs fernandez on NV200: Seat and Bed is here (Rusty lee rock n roll)!

Hello.
    Can i ask what is the dimension of the frame of bed please?

2017/04/04 at 9:53 pm
  • From robert toy on NV200: Bed upholstery is complete!

Could i ask roughly what you paid for the complete bed including fitting. Many thanks

2017/03/26 at 7:48 pm
    • From BLOG on NV200: Bed upholstery is complete!

In my view, very little. The bed build quality is astounding and far far better than most. I suggest you go and see one ๐Ÿ™‚ Prices for bed are http://www.vwrustylee.com/vw-t4-t5-beds/ – however as mine is custom size, I paid a little more. The extra I paid was quite minimal for the extra work needed (e.g. some bits hand made as different to VW size, so no jig template). I also had the extra belts, gas assist etc
      I did the boards
      Upholstery maybe ยฃ3-400 – I forget.
      I fitted it.
      All in, less than <1k.

2017/03/26 at 7:57 pm
  • From TOM MELARKEY on Do you need an inverter (240v) in a van?

I have a coffee van and i need 2800 watts what size of a inverter do i need

2017/03/26 at 3:18 pm
  • From jennie on 2016 Plan vs Actual, and 2017 Plans

Are you sure you want to cycle around N Z in January and February? It can be more than extremely hot!! Sometimes people only venture outside in the evening!

2017/03/21 at 5:39 pm
  • From zachary palmer on How to change water pump on 2L FWD Transit

Many thanks for the detailed instructions very useful .

2017/02/13 at 8:44 am
  • From Adrian Steele on NV200: Bed upholstery is complete!

Does this come with a certificate and how much I’d the fitting?

2017/02/08 at 8:34 pm
    • From BLOG on NV200: Bed upholstery is complete!

Certficate of what? It does not need one. If you are looking for crash certification you do not need it – and a cert only applied to pro fitted bed to the particular van/chassis its fitted to. So in 99% of cases it does not actually mean anything. IMO – I looked at the build quality, the angular strength, and the size of the steels and the quality of the welds, and the rusty lee bed was really very good. The fitting is easy with large spreader plates and engineering bolts. If we ever have an off that rips that out then nothing would stop it. don’t believe some makers marketing blurb about CAD testing or whatever – esp if you are putting it an NV as I don’t think anything is approved. Suggest you look at some in the flesh, and do your own research (SBMCC for instance) away from the sellers. Good luck, hope this helps

2017/02/08 at 8:46 pm
  • From dan flinn on Electric lift for Rock n Roll bed

hi
    we interested in a t5 transporter electric rock n roll bed
    can you help
    regards dan
    trans4mers uk ltd
    07900273073

2017/01/19 at 8:26 pm
  • From stuart Purvis on NV200: Fitting towbar and electrics

Excellent post!!. Great collections.. Itโ€™s really helpful to us.I follow blog for tips and guidelines.

2017/01/07 at 12:28 pm
  • From Joanna Sheldon on NV200: Seat and Bed is here (Rusty lee rock n roll)!

I’d be interested to know how wide your bed is.

2017/01/02 at 9:22 pm
  • From Joanna Sheldon on About Us

Wow. This is amazing. I had just decided to downscale from my Ford Custom SWB camper (my design) to an NV200 (which is the width of the tail gate on the Ford!) for increased maneuverability, and have been delighted to find your extensive conversion notes. Love the way you’ve taken advantage of the spaces in the doors! In this tiny van every square cm is valuable. So wish I had your skills and courage with a drill…

2017/01/02 at 9:09 pm
    • From BLOG on About Us

Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚ There are a few conversions out there, some linked in the youtube vid. But go for it ๐Ÿ™‚ I didn’t *actually* drill many holes in the van ๐Ÿ™‚

2017/01/02 at 9:19 pm
  • From 2016 Plan vs Actual, and 2017 Plans – Do Your Dream!! on 2016, 2017 and 2018 adventure plans.....

[…] that was an interesting year!ย  Our plans for 2016 were HERE and, well, how did we […]

2016/12/22 at 12:47 pm
  • From ELO on Installing a Drimaster Heat PIV system

Hi. We have just installed an Envirovent system (which may not have been the most cost effective solution now reading these blogs). The issue we are having I’m guessing would be the same with either PIV system. On installation it was set to medium, the house became extremely cold, we don’t have gas central heating but energy efficient electric radiators which maintain a lower economic temperature during the day to keep heating costs down when heating the room to 21deg in the evening. As the Envirovent unit heats the air from the loft to 10degC and circulating this around the house, the radiators in some rooms downstairs are constantly giving out heat – this is going to cost us significantly in electricity. We have now reduced the daytime setting on our heating system, but the house is constantly very cold. Any advice most welcome. Thanks

2016/11/30 at 9:46 am
    • From BLOG on Installing a Drimaster Heat PIV system

FYI – the article I mentioned http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/energy-saving-myths#heatingon – hope this helps.

2016/11/30 at 10:17 am
    • From BLOG on Installing a Drimaster Heat PIV system

I changed our “heater” to a higher temp, was a few years ago, maybe 14-16′. And I accept (and say on the linked site) the elec bill goes up over winter. However the extra elec bill vs. mould/damp/wet walls/painting etc is much cheaper!
      Our landing is cooler, but no way does it cool downstairs! (also, apparently, its a myth to keep heating on all day thinking its cheaper than warming from cold – so research that – even MoneySavingExpert did an article).
      So maybe your fan speed is too high? Ours is only set on 1/2 possible power. Getting the setting “right” took a few goes as it is a balance. Maybe EnviroVent just stuck it on high to get results without considering.
      Also, as the air is less humid, for us, we feel warmer for a lower temperature – so, say, if 23′ was the right temp before, we now have 21′. Also, as we no longer have windows open to clear condensation, we don’t lose heat that way.
      Its all a compromise, but perhaps check/tune settings (assuming the EV unit can be adjusted)

2016/11/30 at 9:56 am
  • From Russ on How did the NV200 campervan do?

I am also considering this van as a camper however I am just wondering why you changed from the Transit as it looked rather nice! (only just found your vantastic blog so the answer to my question my be here somewhere!)

2016/11/25 at 3:03 pm
    • From BLOG on How did the NV200 campervan do?

The transit WAS great – our conversion was super, an somewhere between 1300-1500 nights away in 10 years. Not many can do that. But it was 10yo, and we’d been-there, done-that, and due to focus on cycling and backpacking trips a dedicated van could not be justified. So the car-sized NV was just a good match for us…

2016/11/26 at 6:55 pm
  • From michael Butler on Installing a Drimaster Heat PIV system

than yu for your advice i will look at this product and hope fully get rid of the mould and bad air in my basement

2016/11/23 at 10:14 pm
    • From BLOG on Installing a Drimaster Heat PIV system

Hi. See link at top of this page for more info. The PIV is good for refreshing air and preventing mould and condensation caused by moist internal air. You mention basement – if you are getting DAMP walls from moisture getting in from outside it will not help with the mould – it does not fix damp. If walls are cold and get condensation on from internal moist air condensating that in will help. But make sure its not damp otherwise you are fixing the wrong problem

2016/11/24 at 8:31 am
  • From Melksham, Sells Green, Seend 16km mountain bike – Do Your Dream!! on Walks, Cycle rides and Mountain Biking - Melksham, Wiltshire

[…] Wiltshire Walk/Bike […]

2016/11/21 at 9:27 am
  • From Mat on Installing a Drimaster Heat PIV system

Hi,

This may be what I’ve been looking for. We suffer from terrible condensation issues in one of our bedrooms which has inward opening double glazed patio doors as a form of Juliette balcony.

I’ve purchased a Karcher window vac to remove the condensation as over 4 panes of nearly 1.5 m high glass it can take a while. We sleep with a window in the room ajar to reduce condensation (which helps), we shower with windows open and a continuous ventilation system operating. I don’t think the insulation in our loft helps as it isn’t that thick and thus hot air easily escapes.

Can the drimaster be installed in the eaves of the loft which has been transformed into living space? At each side of the loft room are access hatches which allow for crawling along the beams.

2016/11/09 at 1:15 pm
    • From BLOG on Installing a Drimaster Heat PIV system

Hi
      See link at top of this page for more info.
      As I understand it, the drimaster needs to be able to suck in external air and push it into the house . So, you should not install in the living space as that would be sucking in “internal” air that already is moist. But having it in the eves in the side of the loft sucking air from there should be OK. You need the unit installed where there is fresh dry air available

2016/11/09 at 2:03 pm
  • From Azad on Installing a Drimaster Heat PIV system

I have my loft converted..ie have had floorboards and carpeted. However the loft space is not loving dpace (i use for storage). Its a 1900 property i think …solid cold walls. A company i have contacted thinks they can still install this in the following way..
    1) to have it fitted as normall but i will have to take a bit of carpet off and remove a bot of floorboard
    2) it must then be ducted to an existing vent on the loft roof to fetch the external air

my landing space is already very freezing …will the heater element bring in watm air? i cant have it any colder!

we have wet windows and also very cold external ealls which attract wet mold

2016/10/20 at 11:16 pm
    • From BLOG on Installing a Drimaster Heat PIV system

I am no expert, but their plan sounds logical but you would lose out on solar heat gain when the “loft” usually gets warmer than the outside when the sun is shining on it.
      The heater will help – you can turn the thermometer down so it cuts in earlier. Do remember its not blowing out like a fan heater, its just a gentle air movement. But if you don’t want it any colder, the heater model will be better.
      Please see my other site (link at top of page) that talks about these, as PIV is one part of the solution – if you can prevent moist air (damp, shower/kitchen extraction, not drying clothes inside netc) that halps, and PIV is just the final icing.

2016/10/21 at 8:31 am
      • From Meg on Installing a Drimaster Heat PIV system

Hi I have had a flatmaster 2000 fitted today unfortunately I had a hospital appointment and was unable to speak with the installers, my question is – is the red button on the outside of the unit an off/on switch, also how do I turn on the heater part of the machine as the air seems to be very cold and there doesn’t seem to be anything on the outside of the machine like a heater switch, I had thought it would have a heater and a thermostat to regulate the heat ….thanks for any help you can give me

2016/11/04 at 12:22 am
  • From Melksham, Seend, Devizes, Bromham, 41km difficult mountain bike ride – Do Your Dream!! on Walks, Cycle rides and Mountain Biking - Melksham, Wiltshire

[…] Wiltshire Walk/Bike […]

2016/10/11 at 3:08 pm
  • From Melksham, Lacock, Corsham, Holt – Do Your Dream!! on Walks, Cycle rides and Mountain Biking - Melksham, Wiltshire

[…] Wiltshire Walk/Bike […]

2016/10/11 at 2:41 pm
  • From Melksham, Seend and Semington Walk – Do Your Dream!! on Walks, Cycle rides and Mountain Biking - Melksham, Wiltshire

[…] Wiltshire Walk/Bike […]

2016/10/11 at 2:33 pm
  • From Lindy Scott-Blair on About Us

Hi Ryan and Mel
    It was great to catch up with you again at the weekend. we had a brilliant time, it was such a good show. Love the blog and it was great to see the van, it really is genius design. Hope you are both well
    Cliff and Lindy

2016/09/30 at 6:51 pm
  • From Rob's Surf Wagon on Do you need an inverter (240v) in a van?

Here’s a tricky one for you – I still haven’t worked out a way to get a nice HIFI in my van.

It’s a ‘stealth camper’ – so it needs to have HEADPHONE jack for when I’m parked up in town. I’d also like to use it with my electronic drumkit which is connected via the same jack.
    This kills the obvious solution: car HiFi. None of them have headphone jacks for legal reasons!
    So – is here a way to use a home mini HiFi without using a power sapping inverter?
    What voltage do the internals run on, anyone know?

2016/09/24 at 7:06 pm
  • From Feta B on How did the NV200 campervan do?

Hiya,

Really enjoy your blog, good to see you both using the magnificent compact camper on the road! Thanks for the info on the 12v sockets at the front, have a design for some in my own campervan build project so this is particularly nice to hear. Congratulations on all the hard work.

2016/09/23 at 6:57 am
  • From Joanne on Verdon, to the med, and dawdle home

I am so pleased you ‘bumbled’. I thought for ages it was just us who bumble but now found a partner in crime who love to bumble too.
    Glad the trip went well…any improvments required?

2016/09/22 at 7:38 pm
  • From How did the NV200 campervan do? – Do Your Dream!! on Month trip in new van starts....

[…] we’ve now had 40 days away in the van since its birth, 28 on a consecutive trip, so how has it […]

2016/09/22 at 9:25 am
  • From Verdon, to the med, and dawdle home – Do Your Dream!! on The Alps, and The Verdon

[…] trip index HERE โ€“ preceding articleย ย HEREย and – all pics from trip […]

2016/09/22 at 9:03 am
  • From The Alps, and The Verdon – Do Your Dream!! on Verdon, to the med, and dawdle home

[…] Verdon, to the med, and dawdle home […]

2016/09/22 at 9:03 am
  • From Mark Rowland on Ford Transit TDCi, low power, low boost (p0235) - Fixed!

Tube swapping fairies, and other members of their tribe, swarm here in Australia. My city of the Gold Coast is an “open prison for fraudsters”. Thankyou for your efforts on behalf of we poor Transit camper owners. Mark.

2016/09/22 at 1:01 am
  • From Steve on NV200: Fitting Solar Panels

I loved your conversion video. Respect.

2016/09/18 at 1:18 pm
  • From Month trip in new van starts…. – Do Your Dream!! on The Alps, and The Verdon

[…] Continued HERE…. […]

2016/09/01 at 7:21 pm
  • From The Alps, and The Verdon – Do Your Dream!! on Month trip in new van starts....

[…] Van trip index HERE – preceding articleย ย ย ย  HERE […]

2016/09/01 at 7:19 pm
  • From Jan on Installing a Drimaster Heat PIV system

I have a problem in a large downstairs flat roofed bedroom/En suite extension at back of house mainly with a foisty smell on clothes in wardrobe and dank smell on towels in the En suite so would a drimaster unit in the loft(which is quite a way from problem site) be of any help? There is no condensation mould or anything like that but feel there is an airflow problem in this large low extension. Would be grateful for any advise.

2016/08/28 at 11:43 pm
    • From BLOG on Installing a Drimaster Heat PIV system

Hi Jan
      I am no expert, but what you describe sounds like high humidity. Id say buy a handful of the cheap humidity meters and place them in various locations, good places and bad places, and compare. If you have high humidity in the smelly areas and low elsewhere, then could be moist air. A drimaster woukd help move the damp air. However, see top of this page t o my PIV specialist site, and it gives more advixe. eg hints to get damp air away – eg MUCH BETTER fan to get air out of the ensute (shower?). So Id GUESS at checking humidity, then finding sources of nmoisture and removing thenm, and drimaster only if improved extraction and ventilation does not help

2016/08/29 at 8:40 am
      • From bhar budev on Installing a Drimaster Heat PIV system

I have condensation in bay windows but also in bedroom in wardrobes with sliding doors—We do not have loft space–as loft is boarded–would Flatmaster help? how do I find an installer in Harrow Middx are?

2016/12/04 at 4:01 pm